Re: Prof. M.Y Yohannan and Revival Meetings

Hi Dr. Thomas,

Just wanted to thank you for a well writing and very thought-provoking testimony. Much of what you wrote are personal struggles we face here in America on better understanding the Liturgy and symbolism in our Church.

To quote from “The Orthodox Way”, by Bishop Kallistos Ware:

"True Orthodox fidelity to the past must always be a creative fidelity; for true Orthodoxy can never rest satisfied with a barren ‘theology of repetition,’ which, parrot-like, repeats accepted formulae without striving to understand what lies behind them."

The numerous suggestions and theories of revitalizing the Church will all fail without *both* the personal thirst in ourselves to truly understand Christ through our Church's eyes, *and* the availability to us of teachers and other resources from the Church to satisfy that thirst.

Your testimony alone reflects Professor Yohannan's has that unique gift from God of being able to teach and thereby strengthen our Church.

But, I can't help but wonder if the prodigal son is the Church, or Professor Yohannan?

I'm troubled by some of the English translations of the books that are now available on the CRF website (http://crfgospel.org/books.html).

For example, an excerpt found on pages 30-31 in the "Inner Peace" basically narrates the story of an Achen's son who was very active in the Church but was not "converted" or "sanctfied" until he came to CRF. Pages 18-19 of "Glittering Future" talks of a Born-Again Christian who was likewise "sanctified" through CRF.

Is the message about Christ, or through CRF alone can one find Christ? In my own personal life, the cloud of confusion was lifted by one of the young Seminarians, and I continue to grow through the help of the Achens of my parish and other leaders of the Church.

I may have taken Professor Yohannan's quotes out of context, but guessing this was the root of the Church's concern.

During all these numerous posts on this topic, I was hoping to see another message from Professor Yohannan clarifying the circumstances of the Kalpana as well as some personal efforts to take advice from Bava Thirumeni.

But, sadly seems like the final position has been posted through a special message on the CRF website (http://crfgospel.org/specialmessageMYY.html) i.e.,

"The basic faith and traditions of the Orthodox church , as far as I am concerned, is sublime and my humble desire is that I will stick on to the church, doing the Lord's work and thus fulfill my ministry and holiness in personal life. Our decision is that the Christian Revival Fellowship will, at any cost, continue without deviating from the fundamental principles practised upto this time."

So, both sides have expressed in print their positions, and doubt any post can influence this status quo. All we can do is pray for reconciliation that please our Lord.

joe varghese
St Gregorios, Oak Park (IL)


--- In IndianOrthodox@yahoogroups.com, Dr. Ida Thomas,Kuwait wrote:
>
> Dear Moderator
>
> I read the Kalpana about Prof. MY Yohannan and the Christian Revival Fellowship with a heavy heart.
> I have been greatly blessed by attending the fellowship.
> I would like to share those experiences of mine that directly relates to my association with the Orthodox Church.
>
> The Bible tells us that there was great rejoicing when the prodigal son came back to his senses and returned to his father’s house. Wouldn’t it be the same with the Orthodox Church if a way-lead member returns? If yes, please read on…….
>
> Let me introduce myself. I am Dr. Ida Thomas. My husband Dr. Thomas George Padath & I are medical professionals and we belong to the Kandanad diocese in Ernakulam. At present, we are in Kuwait. I still belong to the Orthodox Church only because I got the opportunity to hear the Word of God explained proficiently by Prof. MY Yohannan.
>
> From childhood, I attended the Church regularly with my parents. I always looked forward to the message given by our Achen because that was all I could understand fully. I liked the Geethangal and sang them but didn’t know the meaning.
>
> During my days at the professional college, I got acquainted with an Interdenominational Fellowship. I realised that I could understand every word that was said in their meetings, as opposed to the 15-20 minutes in our Church. Slowly I found it meaningless to say our Kaumas or sing the songs. Going to church became just another social affair. I had serious doubts about our sacraments. Searching for a Holy Qurbanakramam with explanations in English ended in vain (I was not proficient in the Malayalam script). Talking to elders didn’t help. I decided to quit the church at all cost (like some of my friends) and took an appointment for adult baptism. To me, all that mattered was a close relationship with Jesus and eternal life in heaven. I felt that the Church with its many prayers in Syrian language could not help me.
>
> However, thank God, my husband succeeded in persuading me to attend the CRF meeting before I took the drastic step, which would have had far reaching consequences.
>
> I was awe-struck to hear Prof. Yohannan sing the Geethangal and explain the meaning in all its beauty in simple language. He gave the corresponding references from the Bible. The prayers which were ‘Greek and Latin’ to me were unfolded to reveal the holy treasure. I felt ashamed and deeply saddened that I had looked down upon our worship. Earlier I couldn’t accept the idea of Kumbasaram before a priest, but after listening to the Word, I realised my mistake and made true confession after a long gap of twelve years. From experience, I have realised that it is not the denomination that should be changed but my attitude. Sin is the hindrance to heaven, not the Church.
>
> Now I attend the Church with more joy and divine fear; say the prayers and sing songs from my heart; and respect the clergy more than before. So, attending the CRF meetings brought me closer to God and my Church.
>
> So, with all due respects, I humbly request the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church to please reconsider the decision against Prof. MYYohannan and CRF at the earliest possible. The Word of God, through him, brought me back to my senses and to the Church. Prof. Yohannan is an asset to our Church. He is a role model to many, as he practises what he preaches. I believe each person has a special calling to work in our Lord’s field. He should be encouraged to do his duty. There are many out there like me who can still return home.
>
> There are many, like me, who are enjoying peace and harmony in the family life after hearing the true Word of God. Many of them could not express themselves through this medium. So I thought it is my duty to express my views here to uphold the sacred traditions and basic beliefs handed over to us by our Church Forefathers.
>
> With regards,
>
> Dr. Ida Thomas,Kuwait
>

Comments

Joe V. said…
Sorry about just doing a copy/paste of the above .. was too lazy to re-type.

This post can be found at the ICON Mailing (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IndianOrthodox).

The mailing list is a wonderful resource, but often gets bogged down with politics in India and other trivial issues.

The latest is numerous messages on a movement by a Professor M.Y. Yohannan that was denounced by Bava Thirumeni for some reason. I am guilty to adding to the noise, but wanted to respond to one of the well-written testimonies of a follower of CRF.

Very often, man creates so many walls that make following the message of Christ so difficult :(
bino thomas said…
i am a catholic and new to CRF and prof. M Y Yohannan and those that are against him but i must say say this he is an asset to society and the sinful humanity. All he is doing is teaching about christ as it is intended for free and without obligation. Is it because he preaches for free and not a billionaire like other preachers and doesnt have high worldly positions that people attack him and his teachings ? i wonder how we are different from the jews who crucified jesus ? i guess its ok for the orthodox bishops and priests to fight for a church and its crores on live tv. very shameful behaviour. im not here to speak for the orthodox church but for a man who has done only good for nothing in return. if you listen to crf messages you will hear time and time again that they do not talk badly about any church or bishop .
hope you all understand it is jesus christ who was the founder of the church not bishops or the pope. whatever type of christians we are it is christ we must be faithful to not the church or denominations, thereby we should treat all our fellow christians as equals not like a person from another country or world .
we all came to this world with nothing and return with nothing. if you remember that you will succeed in this life and the next.
may the blessings of our lord jesus christ be with you all.

bino thomas
ireland
Joe V. said…
Hi Bino,

Thank you for your response .. it sounds like you are truly seeking the Truth, and have seen in Professor Yohannan a good, gentle side.

There's also a lot about the actions of the Indian Orthodox Church that I actually agree with you .. if you read my other posts, you'll see that there's much about the actions of my Church that frustrates me.

Where I fear Professor Yohannan is misleading people is actually your argument for his work i.e., , as you wrote - "All he is doing is teaching about christ as it is intended for free and without obligation".

The problem is .. Christ did not teach this! In fact, Christ was very specific in His warning that many will call His name and He won't even know him (Matthew 7:21-23).

And as we read in John 6, many of His disciples walked away from Him when He spoke of the Holy Qurbana as they could not follow such a "difficult" teaching.

The Orthodox faith, worship and teachings are ancient and Apostolic. If we abide by the teachings and truly live as Christians, this world would truly be a better place. That is a statement aimed more at our Church than anyone else .. we are not living up to our Faith. It is a sad fact that many are turned away from the true Faith by the actions of the people who call themselves Orthodox ..

But, in my eyes, there is a clear (& difficult) path that the Church, the Body of Christ, has laid and it is our choice to follow or, as CRF has chosen, find a new one. Actions of people do not change who God is.

At the end, let us all pray that Lord have mercy on us all.
Joe V. said…
Especially being a Catholic .. I would encourage you to truly read up on the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist and compare with the teachings in Scripture. It's a slippery road if we compromise even a single one belief or teaching that was given to us by our Lord

Popular Posts