#comeonbro

Hash tags (or whatever they are called) often make me laugh out loud .. one example is #comeonbro, and this comes to mind at work or when I read something just crazy ...

Here in Chicago, there's a very popular pastor that invokes this reaction more often than I like to admit ... most recently, he wrote:
"We often let customs and traditions overwhelm the dynamic life of our relationship with God. Think about your Sunday routine for a minute. Can you explain why you do each of the things you do? Or is your spiritual life simply “what I’ve always done”?  I don’t want to come to church and learn about customs and traditions. I want to know what the Word of God says. I want a church to be biblical. I don’t care about preachers wearing hats that are three feet high or capes. I don’t want anything that isn’t in the Scriptures."
Really? Come on bro!

We all have to learn about who Christ is because ... He is God! In the words of C.S. Lewis,  "I want God, not my idea of God".

The 3-feet high hats and capes .. they do have a meaning.  We are plagued by the fact that many in our Church are not aware of this meaning .. but facts are facts, and Truth is Truth.

For the ancient Church, all these images are supposed to invoke the understanding that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity .. the same who knocked the Apostles to the ground through His Glory (Matthew 17:1-9, Mark 9:2-8, Luke 9:28-36).  The same Jesus Christ who in His Second Coming is described in the Book of Revelations by St. John, the Apostle whom many say was very close to Christ, in terms that are beyond description.

We do not approach Church to worship God with the mindset that we know everything there is to know about who He is - rather, with humility and willingness and, as the Divine Liturgy says, with our hearts and minds - our job is to learn and grow in Him through Scripture, prayer, fellowship and the Body and Blood.  This is our understanding of the early Church as explained in Acts 2:42.

My Church is Biblical - 100%.  And yes, my priests and Bishops wear hats and capes. #comeonbro

Comments

Popular Posts